Pages

Sunday, April 5, 2015

The start...

I'm going to skip the preamble and just get right to the what/where!


The shot above was taken with me standing in the back left corner of the yard, aka "the armpit". 


Plants against the window:
  • 'Valentine' rose (3)
  • 'Bonfire' Patio peach
  • Canna 'Blueberry Sparkler'


I moved those Canna around a bunch last year before finally settling on this corner spot between the window and the gate. Fingers crossed it's happy there - that's a beatdown spot in the Summer.


Plants in this shot, against the fence:
  • 'Valentine' rose (3)
  • 'Iceberg' rose, climbing
  • Chocolate mimosa (no leaves yet, boo)
  • Pennisetum 'First Knight'

Numerous shots of:
  • Yucca Rostrata
  • Salvia 'Wendy's Wish' (3)
  • Datura 'Double White'
  • Hibiscus 'Midnight Marvel' (hidden behind everything else because it's tiny)


This is a shot of the plantings against the back fence. The only new things since last year:
I'm not entirely convinced I've planted the Solomon's Seal or Christmas False Box in the ideal locations; we'll just have to see.


The shot above shows the bed formerly occupied by the #*@!& holly bushes. (I've got 2x4s laid out as temporary edging.)


Above you see one of my three Fatsia japonica, and my most exciting (and costly) purchase: a Japanese Maple! I did a lot of reading on Japanese Maples in Central Texas, and ended up purchasing the variety 'Tamukeyama' from Mendocino Maples Nursery.


It arrived carefully packaged and in great condition late last October, and I kept it in a pot over the Winter. I can't wait to see it fully leafed out! I was dying to buy more since I have soooo much shade in the back, but I'll see if I can keep this puppy alive for a year.


Speaking of big risks, I also bought 3 Tasmanian Tree Ferns (Dicksonia antartica) from Trio Nursery, and put them in the dark, wet corner at the back of the house.


It's a long shot that any will survive, let alone thrive. I dream big!


I wanted something to hide the cable that runs up the white siding, and figured what better than Black bamboo? I've been reading with envy about other bloggers' stock tanks, so this was a good excuse to pull the trigger on doing my own. I'm hoping that the black cable will eventually blend with the black bamboo canes. Clever huh??

The bottom is filled with a lot of small rocks. I don't want to think about ever having to move it or replant anything in there: we'll just buy a new house. Less work.


There's a lot going on here:
  • The other 2 Fatsia japonica
  • Hydrangea 'Ruby Falls' (2) - another experiment
  • Eupatorium havenense (White Mistflower, 3)
  • Mahonia 'Soft Caress' (3)

I tried in vain to get a decent shot of the new leaves on my Smoke Bush tree. You get the 'gist!

 

Not shown: 
  • Brahea armata (Mexican Blue Fan Palm)
  • Another Hibiscus 'Midnight Marvel'
  • Salvia van houttei (3)
Not yet in the ground:
I'm seriously considering replacing the 2 'Regal Shields' Elephant Ears with the 'Hope' Philodendrons. They're supposedly hardier in the winter (the Elephant Ears died back, as expected) and they're about the same size.

I'm not done, just pausing to contemplate my next move.

No comments:

Post a Comment