Pages

Monday, April 19, 2010

Progress on the new bed

We aren't finished, but we made really good progress on the new bed today. We sifted (literally) through the dirt/grass mixture Jason dug out so we didn't have to buy as many bags of dirt, and then we added 7 bags of Hill Country Garden Soil.

The damp soil slowed us down: it was like digging through a mixture of molasses and flour. It stuck to our shoes, the shovel, itself. Jason had to dig most of the holes, I just didn't have enough weight to put behind it and I'm not exactly a 90 lbs weakling. I'd like to have waited until things dried out a bit more but I use the time I have!

Here's the layout we determined:

We took a break to go to Hill Country Water Gardens & Nursery in Cedar Park and bought a small fountain! We were pretty happy to find something we liked that is proportional to the size of the bed and wallet-friendly.

Here's what it looked like when we quit for the night. We (mostly Jason) got the palms, New Zealand Flax, 'Valentine' roses, Lamb's Ear and Canna Wyoming planted.

I poached my own Canna: I've had some in the back left corner of the large bed for the last 2 years and they haven't had the good sense to die, so I'm going to see if they like this location better. They look like this:


Did I mention the soil was horrible to dig in?

No comments:

Post a Comment