First, this bed is DONE:
I pulled that Yucca rostrata 'Sapphire Skies' out of a pot in the front, where it had grown to gargantuan proportions in the short span of about a year. I was SO worried about hurting the pot and the plant, and surprisingly neither happened!
I still need to put down pea gravel as mulch, but I can do that next weekend.
This bed now consists of:
- Odontonema strictum aka Purple Firespike (as labeled, however the flowers are pink and not red, and google searches aren't helping to clarify)
- Bicolor iris
- Fatsia japonica 'Camouflage' (or maybe Murokamo Nishiki? Not sure if they're really the same)
|Fatsia japonica 'Camouflage' or 'Murokamo Nishiki'|
|Sorry for the overly shaded shot, you can tell I took this one on a different day.|
Surprise #1: this Yucca that was left for dead, and given to me almost as a dare to rehab:
When I trimmed back all the dead foliage I discovered it was double-headed, and as you can see both heads bloomed!
What this picture hints at, but it isn't obvious, is that it's covered in brown bugs. I don't know what kind of bug they are, but they lost their minds on the blooms. They covered the plant and the fence behind it, like it was a standing-room only concert and they're just waiting for their chance to push to the front.
Surprise #2: this experimental Ligularia 'Gigantea' bloomed! (I've killed some before, so this is trial #2.)
Last but not least, I leave you with this guy:
Stay warm out there!!