Pages

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Garden Blogger's Bloom Day & Foliage Follow-up: May 2017

It's been a while since I participated in Garden Blogger's Bloom Day (and I'm a few days late) but I finally have a little time AND have something exciting to share: my Chocolate Mimosa bloomed this year! 
Chocolate Mimosa bloom at dusk (so the leaves are closing)

Chocolate Mimosa bloom in the morning!

(For some reason my pictures of the whole tree came out blurry/fuzzy, ugh.)

I also purchased two Hibiscus syriacus 'Blue Satin' and planted them in the front beds. Despite the best efforts of the deer, one is blooming profusely and has more buds in waiting!

Hibiscus syriacus 'Blue Satin'

My neighbor's Hibiscus seems untouched by deer, but it's much larger and taller and maybe that's a factor? I'm hoping these will live long enough for me to find out!

For Foliage Follow-up, one of my favorite color combos: silver and burgundy!


Unfortunately I can't remember which Pennisetum that is, but that's an artemesia and a Sharkskin Agave alongside it.

And finally my winners in both the bloom and foliage category: Peter's Purple Bee Balm and Canna 'Flambe'.

Canna 'Flambe' and Peter's Purple Bee Balm

Those Canna are transplants from the other side of the yard, and the Bee Balm was a passalong plant from a Garden Blogger's Go-Go. My love for the Canna is well documented, but I'm now a HUGE fan of the Bee Balm! I need to acquire more of that for everywhere.

Thanks so much to Pam Penick of Digging for hosting Foliage Follow-up every month, and thanks to Carol of May Dreams Gardens blog for hosting Garden Blogger's Bloom Day!

4 comments:

  1. I love that 'Peter's Purple' Monarda and have been trying to find it since I saw it pop up on other Texas blogs last year. It's said to survive in zone 10 so it's worth a try, if I can ever find it here. I've always been intrigued my the dark-foliaged mimosa even though my Albizia julibrissin is a major source of litter (and stray seedlings) in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sell it at High Country and a few other online nurseries, and now I'm kicking myself for not ordering more. It's definitely self-sowing because I have more than I did last Fall!

      The Mimosa IS messy, isn't it? I'm usually so gaga over the leaves I just overlook that. It's like that boyfriend who leaves the toilet seat up, but he's so pretty you let it slide. ;-)

      Delete
  2. The monarda and the canna look stunning together! And I'm jealous of your chocolate mimosa, too. Fabulous color combos in your garden, as always

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It's entirely accidental, as are most of my best garden happenings! ;-)

      Delete